Tai WANDER YEARS

I am an American technology worker who just moved to Taiwan.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Farewell tour

I think this week I felt an escalation of the inevitability and consequence of the move. I have to go to a wake tonight for a co-worker who died this week (way too young @ 59) and I am stopping in to visit my childhood next-door-neighbor and goombah to my sister, maybe for the last time.

I'll come "home" once a year but Connecticut is effectively no longer my home. Florida will probably serve as our base as that is where we go for XMAS and our largest density of relatives lies there. My brother and sister live in Boston and NYC, respectively, but I can envision us convening in Paris or Tokyo or Costa Rica rather than the northeast. My mom is in Canada which has geographic consequence in itself.

So begins the farewell tour:
  • Last of the regular poker games at our house tomorrow night
  • Last softball games Mon/Tues
  • Going away luncheon at work next Friday
  • Friends throwing us a going away party next Sunday
  • If I'm still around May 1, last meeting of a non-profit board of directors I've been serving on for 6 years
It will be a rough two weeks until I leave, lots of goodbyes, some people I will never see again, but that's an expected consequence. Was it Lennon/McCartney who wrote:

"You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both, and there you have: the facts of life"


No comments:

Post a Comment