Tai WANDER YEARS

I am an American technology worker who just moved to Taiwan.

Friday, April 9, 2010

A boy and his dog

As if our recent run of bad luck couldn't get any worse after the Canada tire incident and the tree incident, my Mom called Saturday night with horrible news: our dog Kramer died, only a week after moving him up there. He had a stroke and Mom took him in to the emergencey clinic where he had two seizures and she did the right thing and put him down.

I've been thinking for days of what to make of a blog post about this incident and how I feel about it:
  • Confused: I don't understand why I was perfectly OK with departing ways with Kramer to leave him with my Mom yet feel a deep sense of loss over his death.
  • Relieved: That he passed without getting sick and putting a burden on my Mom to care for him and avoided pain & suffering upon himself.
  • Thankful: That my Mom was able to do this and I didn't have to.
  • More-confused: I can't fathom how any parent can send their kid off to fight in a war and die in the name of the cause.
"And they all want to love the cause,
'Cause they all need to be the cause,
They all want to fuck the cause" 
- Broken Social Scene

Yeah, I know, it's just a dog.



No comments:

Post a Comment