Tai WANDER YEARS

I am an American technology worker who just moved to Taiwan.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Clim@te Change

We spent the XMAS holiday down in FL with Shirley's parents and returned home to crazy frigid cold temps; it's 18F right now and we got about 6" of snow today. I lived in FL for some time and with a comparable climate to Taiwan, I know what I'm getting into. I once thought that I would never again live in a tropical climate but the northeast winters are starting to get to me. It is as though you just throw away 3 months of the year and hibernate. I used to like it for skiing but once I got hooked on skiing out west, it's just not worth it. I'd rather just fly somewhere for GOOD skiing and take advantage of being able to triathlon train throughout the entire year.

Outdoors.

Then there is the cost:
  • plowing = $400
  • salt=$400
  • heating oil=+$1-$2k for the season
  • propane for fireplace
  • winter clothes
  • driveway repairs from the cold temps
  • wear & tear on vehicles from salt
  • risk of killing yourself on the road
  • alcohol to numb the pain of the cold
I came home yesterday to find people ice fishing.

ice fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment