Tai WANDER YEARS

I am an American technology worker who just moved to Taiwan.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Change of state

When we first moved to this small town, I wanted to be involved, or at least, abreast of the local happenings. We attended town meetings, election candidate debates and religiously read the little local news rag every Wednesday night. We donate to the library and volunteer fire dept. every year, attend the "barn sale" and the Memorial Day Parade. This are all big events in this small New England town.

The other day the newspaper came and I didn't even open it up. During the State of the Union address the feeling of apathy started to kick in as these things just don't matter as much as they used to. At least, not right now. Maybe I'm being short sighted but a mental change does take place consciously or not.

Take the health care debate...

I'm sure I will be nuts (in one way or another) about health care after returning from Taiwan. I read that they insure 98% of the population at a cost of 6.2% of GDP. In America, at least 15% is said to be completely uninsured at a cost of 16% of GDP. I've already started joking with people at work with whom I talk politics about how the woes which they lament just don't matter to me.

"I've got 3 more months of this then I'l have national health care! Oh, and wait until you see how much your state income tax is going up after this budget session. Have fun paying those taxes!"

How long before they declare me a communist?

I'm very much looking forward to experiencing the "socialized" side of things and being able to say that I've lived both sides and therefore consider myself qualified to render judgement. I wonder what I'll think after living the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment