Tai WANDER YEARS

I am an American technology worker who just moved to Taiwan.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Holy Grail of Pizza

"When you know your time in a place is running out, you try to fix such moments in your mind's eye." -Julia Child, My Life in France


I've started thinking about what things I should do or see before leaving Connecticut, like a one last time "bucket list" of experiences that will not be available in Taiwan. Much of this revolves around food. In CT, pizza is like a religous experience.
Perhaps the most famous of the New Haven pizza joints is Pepe's. There's also Sally's and Modern and you have to choose sides. I am a Pepe's guy and this was high on my list of must dos before leaving. There are two buildings @ Pepe's, the newer building known as "Pepe's" and the original building known as "The Spot". Both serve the same pizza. The line @ Pepe's was easily two hours as we waited over an hour to get into The Spot. For pizza.
I'm starting to get that feeling regarding leaving for Taiwan. Eating food, going places, seeing people. What used to be routine now has a sense of finality about it. There's a bit of surrealness to it. While it has potential to be depressing, the upside is that there will be substitues for all of this activity and the opportunity to fill these voids with completely new experiences is very exciting.

I wonder if I will ever eat a more memorable pizza.

taiwanderyears.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Glad you went to New Haven, and not Fairfield.. With a Yonkers location now open, I can sorta feel like I'm back home, but deep down I know it's not the same..

    ReplyDelete