Tai WANDER YEARS

I am an American technology worker who just moved to Taiwan.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

XMAS in Taiwan?

We are at Shirley's parents' house for XMAS along with her sister and brother-in-law and Shirley found the opportunity to conveniently segway into, "speaking of Taiwan...we might be moving there." I was afraid it would be met with much more drama but, not so. Her mom grew up in Taiwan and her Dad was an American living in Taiwan when they met so they have some very valuable insight into living there.

I heard back from the boss guy in Taiwan; he has successfully created this job opening for me. Our HR group is putting together an offer, I should have it to review by mid-January. At that point I need to decide if I'm likely to accept and, if so, break the news to my boss. I have been compiling a list of questions for my HR group but I'll review the offer first which hopefully answer them. I don't know the details of house hunting, shipping my stuff, car hunting, etc.

I've also been trying to maintain consciousness of what the negatives are and coming to grips with those sacrifices before making a decision. Depending on whether or not Shirley get a job on an American schedule, this could be our last XMAS in the States for a few years. I wonder what XMAS in Taiwan would be like. If I can adjust to XMAS in Florida after growing up in New England, I think I can handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment