Tai WANDER YEARS

I am an American technology worker who just moved to Taiwan.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I wonder where to start...

I was on a Wi-Fi equipped Delta flight to Vegas in early November with my wife, staring at the "Send" button in MS Outlook. About five years ago, my company opened up a major hub in Taiwan and the head of that division came to the States on a recruiting mission. At the time, we had just gotten married, bought a new house, and felt like we were settling into a location where we'd live for the lifetime of our mortgage. In the years since my wife had mentioned a few times that she'd consider going to Taiwan if the opportunity ever returned.

This past October, I was sent to Taiwan to assist a customer and started thinking that maybe it was time to "expand our horizons". I scanned through our company's HR intranet site and noticed that there were some vacancies in Taiwan, none of which were perfectly suited to me and something told me that HR might be a dead end. So I decided to do something out of character for me: dodge the system and contact the person at the highest rung of the ladder. I attached a resume and plead my case for an "opportunity" in Taiwan.

Send < enter >

No comments:

Post a Comment