Tai WANDER YEARS

I am an American technology worker who just moved to Taiwan.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Number crunching

I heard back from HR today and they requested a bunch of info about my income and expenses(insurance, 401k, tax rate) to be used in determining my compensation package. I think they are trying to come up with some scale factor to provide a comparable living in Taiwan and I'm sure they have some crazy complicated formula. I wonder what the whole pension component is so I asked the Taiwan HR rep. If I put a lot in 401k does that work against me because my takehome is less and they assume I don't NEED the money or will I get some comparable pension savings arrangement in Taiwan?

We saw the movie Avatar today and the idea of the humans living among the na'vi and assimilating into the race drew some parallels in my mind to the potential life in Taiwan. The protagonist learned the native language in 3 months. I'll be lucky if I can order cold soy milk in Mandarin and not get dried deer penis instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment