Tai WANDER YEARS

I am an American technology worker who just moved to Taiwan.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

OK, so some things aren't that tough

About the second day in the car I looked at the fuel gauge and realized it was only a quarter full. I think I remember in Europe there is no concept of returning the car with the tank full, you can just coast in on fumes. So now I'm wondering, how to you get gas. It can't possibly be self serve because that will involve less employment so I went to scout out a gas station across the street after the scallion pancake dinner, and sure enough, attendants at the pump.

The next morning I went out to give one last check over the apartment we chose and I remembered to ask Hope, the real estate agent what I need to say at the gas station. First you tell them the octane level. For 92, you don't say the equivalent of "ninety two" it's just "nine two" or "jeo er". And "fill it" is "jia mon", kind sounds like saying "yes" to a Jamaican.

On the way to work after the meeting with Hope, I found a gas station near the office. The lingo I got from Hope worked perfectly. As they hand me my receipt, they asked if I wanted a Coke and handed me a liter bottle. I guess if you fill up you get free Coke, sweet! Many people will ask how much gas costs; I think it works out to about $4/gallon, not insanely expensive, considering there are only a few places where gas is cheaper than the U.S.

If you ever catch me bitching about how everything in Taiwan is a hassle, remind me about the EasyCard as I have found nothing else in Taiwan so aptly named. The subway system, MRT, in Taipei is great for several reasons:

  1. It is very clean
  2. The stations are laid out in a very standardized manner such that once you learn to navigate one, they all seem the identical
  3. The entire MRT system map is on display showing the cost to each stop from where you are
  4. Inside the subway car, there is audible instructions telling you which stop you are coming to
  5. Inside the subway car, there is a map of that line with a light showing which stop you are coming to and you can basically see your line, and there is a map of all the other lines
  6. Everthing is in English
  7. On the platform, you have lanes to stand in as you wait for the train. When the doors open, the lanes are located such that everyone can get off first without interfering with the queue, then everyone gets on in an orderly fashion. Pretty much.
  8. On the platform, it tells you how long until the next train will arrive.
  9. The EasyCard
You can buy this EasyCard in a vending machine at the station. You pay NT500, 100 is a deposit for the card, 400 is the available balance to use for your fare. What is great about for MRT newbies, is you don't really have to worry about what the fare is to get to your desired station, as long as you have a great enough balance.

What is also great is it has some sort of passive RF type technology where you don't swipe a magnetic bar. You can just leave it in your purse or wallet and hold it up against the sensor and it reads it!

I have yet to prove out this application of the EasyCard as I haven't conquered (or been conquered by) the bus system yet, but I know it involves fares based on how many zones you travel through. I'm not yet up to feeling defeated by totally screwing up the bus thing. So I'll just stick to MRT/walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment